Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Eschatology: A Legitimate Line in the Sand?

I want to talk about the end times-- Huge yawn from all who know me. The horse is dead, buried, and bushes have already begun to grow on its grave, yet there you go, still beating it. Why? Before you dismiss me with the click of the mouse, just hear me out. If I don’t convince you to stick with the series after this first post, then just take a break and come back when I’ve finished.

My concern is this: I’m seeing a number of very positive things happening in American Evangelicalism. Every day it seems I come upon some new pastor or new church in my area that holds the scriptures in extremely high regard, that conducts worship in biblical maturity, that upholds the doctrines of grace and proclaims the pure gospel without apology. Many of these individuals and churches come from different denominational and traditional backgrounds, but despite their differences, they are finding that they have much in common; sometimes they have more in common than they do with churches of their own denominations. To me, this is very encouraging. But many times, it turns out, these same individuals and churches who have so much else in common, are prevented from working together as they otherwise might because of differing doctrinal stances on end times events.

Not too long ago, I heard a story from someone whose church is known for its interest in planting new churches. The church is part of a denomination whose statement of faith includes the doctrine of the pretribulational premillennial rapture of the church. I don't remember the precise context, but apparently someone from the church had inquired as to whether it would be permissible to plant a church with a minister who had eschatological views that differed from those of the denomination. The response was, yes, the church could use such a minister, but it would have to do so without the financial assistance of the denomination.

Faced with the choice between planting a church through the ministry of a man with a different view of the end times, and planting no church at all, the leadership of this denomination found that the latter would be the better option. To me this seems slightly out of proportion. I admit, I understand it, because I used to agree. Surely, anyone who does not believe in the pretribulational premillennial rapture of the church can simply not be taking the Bible seriously. Certainly, these doctrines are taught so clearly in the scriptures that any minister who holds otherwise is not qualified for the office. Certainly, any church that holds otherwise is not worthy of our fellowship.

Well, I have since come to a different opinion. My intent in this series is not necessarily to convince readers of my particular eschatological position. My primary goal is to demonstrate that someone can really, truly, sincerely believe the Bible to be the inspired, authoritative word of God and still come to a view that differs from the pretribulational premillennial position. My hope is that, if you are one who believes this doctrine to be a reasonable biblical criterion for qualification of a minister or fellowship between churches, you would give my arguments a fair examination. There are already, to be sure, plenty of causes of division in Christ’s church; many are legitimate, some are not. All I’m asking is that after reading, you consider whether the doctrine of the pretribulational premillennial rapture of the church really ought to occupy such an important place, as it seems to do, in the test of true fellowship.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brad,

Cool site. I'll be reading this stuff you spew forth on escchatology, I need some good sharpening from a sharp iron file like you. YOu post, and I'll read and maybe i'll have something to say.

Thomas

Brad said...

I'll do my best, Tom. Thanks for checkin' in.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to it....I must admit that I am pretribulational premillennial, and I used to be the same way that it was absolutely wrong to have any other view. However, after studying I have come to the conclusion that there are other views that make logical sense.

Two of my favorite preachers - John MacArthur and John Piper - disagree almost completly on the topic. If these two great theological minds can disagree surely there should be room for disagreement between other brothers. However, it would be neat to sit in a room when MacArthur and Piper discussed eschatology....

By the way thanks for stopping by xanga...

Brad said...

Matt,

Yeah, McArthur and Piper, that would be an interaction I would pay to see.

Just think of the number of different eschatological positions among the participants and guests of the T4G conference. It just strikes me as odd that some of them would be disqualified from the ministry in one another's churches on the basis of this issue.

David Mohler said...

Very interesting post.

I've made an observation that I think is true, and I wish I had time to dvelop this more fully just for kicks and giggles:

- The more Arminian the soteriology, the more pre-tribulational the eschatology.

- Lordship soteriology is more "premellennial", and increasingly less "tribulational" (e.g., the prewrath view) in perspective.

- The more Calvinistic the soteriology, the more mid- to post-tribulational the eschatology.

- The more Covenental the soteriology, the more preteristic the eschatology.

Contrary to most pretribulationists I know, It is not a legitimate line in the sand.

I would say, though, that the personal, visible return of Christ to earth (irrespective of the timing) is an essential truth that ought not to be shoe-horned into oblivion.

Brad said...

Interesting distinction you make between Calvinistic and Covenantal soteriology. I have always thought of them as one and the same.

From my experience, those who have more preteristic leanings are covenantal, but I would be surprised if preterists (partial or otherwise) make up a very large percentage of covenantalists

Anonymous said...

Our God is covenantal. He promises something, and He keeps His Word Always.
His promise to Adam and Eve, His promises to Abram, Isaac, and Yakob, to bring forth the Seed, Who would Redeem that which was lost, execute judgement on the Wicked One, and set into motion an everlasting Kingdom, that would have no end. All the Curses of Deut. came upon the 1st Cen. generation of unbelieving Jews, As Christ said, Matt. 23 somewhere at the end, All the righteous blood that has ever been spilled on the earth shall be required of this generation, from Abel to some dude who was the son of Bericiah who was slain between the Temple and Alter. Sometimes, The Lord God postpones His wrath, an act of mercy on His part, But, there is Judgement to come, and it did. Israel, as a conduit for the coming Redeemer, was finished. The blessings of knowing God would flow from Jerusalem to Judea to the entire world, and they that sat in darkness saw agreat light and the Gentiles had their eyes opened and were brought into the Kingdom IE the Church, which the gates of Hell shall never, ever, ever, ever, ever prevail. To Him who is able to keep you.

Hey Brad, Where did all that come from?

Thomas

Brad said...

Hey Tom,

You been at the Gaffer's home brew?

Just kidding, thanks for the rant.

Brad

Anonymous said...

Hey, Peppo! Nice to see you on the web.

My hub always says that anything not pounded out by the ecumenical counsels is out of bound as far as breaking fellowship. Eschatology and Ecclesiology were never formally decided upon before the Great Schism (boneheaded mutual excommunication) and can not, therefore, be used as a reason to cut off fellowship.

Brad said...

Mrs. Butler!

How very grand to hear from you. We did miss you last evening, but I understand your husband had to attend to some important business.

Mr. Butler's standard would allow for a fellowship somewhat broader than that to which I'm accustomed. I'd be most interested to hear his defense thereof.