Saturday, October 07, 2006

Conclusion: The Throne of David and the Resurrection of Christ

It seemed best to finish this series of posts by presenting, with minimal commentary, a few passages of scripture. I would only ask that you pay special attention to the connections made by the apostles between the promises of the Davidic covenant and the resurrection of Christ. I trust that God will bless the reading of His word as He sees fit.

Psalm 2:1-9

Why do the nations rage, And the peoples meditate a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, And the rulers take counsel together, Against Jehovah, and against his anointed, saying, “Let us break their bonds asunder, And let us cast away their cords from us.” He that sitteth in the heavens will laugh: The Lord will have them in derision. Then will he speak unto them in his wrath, And vex them in his sore displeasure, “Yet I have set my king Upon my holy hill of Zion. I will tell of the decree: Jehovah said unto me, “Thou art my son; This day have I begotten thee. Ask of me, and I will give thee the nations for thine inheritance, And the uttermost part of the earth for thy possession. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; Thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.”

Acts 4:25

O Lord, thou that didst make the heaven and the earth and the sea, and all that in them is; who by the holy Spirit, by the mouth of our Father David they servant didst say, “Why do the Gentiles rage, And the peoples imagine vain things? The kings of the earth set themselves in array, And the rulers were gathered together, Against the Lord, and against his Anointed.” For of a truth in this city against thy holy servant Jesus whom thou didst anoint, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, were gathered together, to do whatsoever they hand and thy counsel foreordained to come to pass. And now, Lord, look upon their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants to speak thy word with all boldness; while thou stretchest forth thy hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done through thy holy Servant Jesus.

Isaiah 55:3-5

I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David. Behold I have given him for a witness to the peoples, a leader and commander to the peoples. Behold, thou shalt call a nation that thou knowest not; and a nation that knew thee not shall run unto thee, because of Jehovah thy God, and for the Holy One of Israel; for he hath glorified thee.

Acts 13:32-34

And we bring you good tidings of the promise made unto the fathers, that God hath fulfilled the same unto our children, in that he raised up Jesus; as also it is written in the Second Psalm, "Thou art my Son, this day I have begotten thee." And as concerning that he raised him from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he hath spoken on this wise, "I will give thee the holy and sure blessings of David."

Psalm 132:10-11

For thy servant David’s sake Turn not away the face of thine anointed. Jehovah hath sworn unto David in truth; he will not turn from it, "Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne."

Psalm 110:1-2

Jehovah said unto my Lord, "Sit thou at my right hand, Until I make thine enemies they footstool." Jehovah will send forth the rod of his strength out of Zion: "Rule thou in the midst of thine enemies."

Acts 2:29-36

Brethren, I may say unto you freely of the patriarch David, that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us unto this day. Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that of the fruit of his loins he would set one upon his throne; he foreseeing this spake of the resurrection of the Christ, that neither was he left unto Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption. This Jesus did God raise up, whereof we are all witnesses. Being therefore highly exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he hath poured forth this which ye see and hear. For David ascended not into the heavens: but he saith himself, “The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, Till I make thine enemies the footstool of thy feet.” Let all the house of Israel therefore know assuredly, that God hath made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom ye crucified.

No comments: